DONATE HERE

Thursday, December 16

12/16/2010 NO WORDS CAN EVER TRULY DUE MATT JUSTICE.

On December 14Th 2010 Matthew Robert Hardie passed away at Hospice, after a heroic effort to overcome his injuries and become the man he once was. Matt fought very hard these lasts months BUT in the end his WILL could not over come the damage done to his body.

The instant one leaves the body is no more than a change of clothes, worn out clothes, bearing the marks of age or bearing the marks of youth and a well lived life. We leave it, trade it in for another, and our spiritual evolution and adventure goes on.

I wish I could say more.........but there is nothing I could write or any words that would ever really truly capture the Magic that was Matt

Our family is grieving the loss of an irreplaceable person, so I would like to thank all of you for your understanding during this difficult time. You have all been supportive, strong, kind, generous, and human. Matt would have been touched to see how many of you came to our aid during the time of his accident and now at this time of great sorrow.


We all knew Matt in different ways, different years, different zip codes, and sometimes it seemed in different lifetimes but what we all have in common are the wonderful memories Matt has left us with. We have memories of his ravenous appetite for reading and information, his large heart (which he often wore on his sleeve), his love of political discussions/arguments, his passion for people and making the world a better place but most of he left us with the wonderful memory that is just HIM.

Sometimes sorrow can be all consuming, and at this moments it is. I will try to post again as my grief permits. BUT.......


.......I have to remind myself that some birds are not meant to be caged. Their feathers are just to BRIGHT. And when they fly away, the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up DOES rejoice. STILL, the place you live in is just that much more drab and empty now that they're gone.
I guess in the end, I just miss my friend and Brother

10 comments:

Ed G said...

Kate, I'm very sorry for your loss. As I shared with others when I heard the news: Matt's wit and intellect were singular, to say the least. I've missed them since he and I parted ways and I fear I'll never know their like again. I'll miss the chance to experience them again. I'll miss Matt.

Anonymous said...

Kate- I knew Matt through work. I am very happy to have had gotten the chance to meet such a wonderful young man. He was very happy in what he was doing, and the sky was the limit for him. Take care and know that he is resting in peace as well as rejoined some old family.

Anonymous said...

Kate-
Words cannot express the sadness I feel for you and your family. I worked with Matt, as well and the energy and wit he brought to the team will never be replaced. My heart is heavy but will take comfort that I was blessed to have known such brilliance.

Anonymous said...

Here is a peom for you Kate:
I hope this will help you through your grieving time.

Don't think of him as gone away--
his journey's just begun
life holds so many facets
this earth is only one.
Just think of him as resting
from the sorrows and the tears
in a place of warmth and comfort
where there are no days and years.

Think how he must be wishing
that we could know today
how nothing but our sadness
can really pass away.

And think of him as living
in the hearts of those he touched...
for nothing loved is ever lost--
and he was loved so much.

Anonymous said...

I think about you constantly, Kate - both you and Matt. I think about your voice; how strong and determined you always sound. I think about his voice and how I long to hear it laugh or say "huh?". We'll talk soon, I know. Let's plan that trip. Take a tour across the US and show Jack all the places and hearts Matt touched. Road trip, doll. Road trip. ~ stef

Mamma P said...

Kate-
I am so sorry for your loss and the loss of Matt. I was a friend of his from highschool. Many hugs and much support as you grieve this terrible loss.

katehesspace said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kate HP said...

Kate, I am so touched by your words and in awe of your ability to write so beautifully while grieving so deeply. For many years of my life I considered Matt to be one of my best friends. He was one of the funniest, smartest people I have ever known. He had such a deep curiosity about the world, a love of music, art,writing... And, also a tenderness about him, he could be so unexpectedly kind and generous. I know he loved you very much, Kate. And, last time I saw him in Spokane, many years ago he spoke about how much Jack meant to him. It has been several years since I have spoken to Matt, but even from sofar away the world seems dimmer. A very bright light has gone out. Kate HP

Kelly Masjoan said...

Kate, I am so sorry. Steve and I just read about Matt in the paper. Our hearts go out to you and Jack and Rich. xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Kate,
We have never met, but we spoke on the phone and I have been following Matt's blog. I am so sorry that this sad accident has taken Matt from you and all those who loved him. He must have been a remarkable person and you have surely been a remarkable sister. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your son.